15 May No Excuses for Drunk Driving: Know Your Alternatives
There are no excuses for drinking and driving, no matter the circumstance. By getting behind the wheel while under the influence of alcohol or another substance, you are putting yourself and many others at risk. In 2017, 29% of driving fatalities were due to alcohol impairment, and 10,874 people died as a result of drunk driving. We want you to know your options if you have been drinking so that you never have to become one of these statistics.
- Uber has become increasingly popular since its founding in 2009. It has spread from California all the way to the east coast and the rest of the world. This service is offered in most counties in Massachusetts, and is extremely common in Boston. The Uber Boston services include UberPool, UberX, Black SUV, UberXL, Black, and Taxi, so there is something for every taste, no matter where you’re coming from or where you’re going to. If there’s high demand, Uber rates may go up, but do not fret. There are plenty more options to prevent drinking and driving! You can also download the app for easier access and payment process.
- Taking a taxi remains one of the most reliable ways to get from point A to point B safely. While you may not see as many cabs around these days, they are still there. Here are a few cab companies in and around Norfolk County, MA to call instead of driving yourself home if the need arises. You can also use this site to look for companies in other cities; to get home safely wherever you may be.
- A personal driver service that has been around since 2010 has provided safe transportation for thousands. Their Personal Hourly Driver service is available in Boston and allows you to reserve a driver for as low as $22.95 per hour, but here’s the kicker, they will drive you in YOUR car! Don’t worry about feeling uncomfortable or out of place in someone else’s car, because this personal driver will meet you, drive you to your location, and wait for you until you’re ready to go back.
- Dryver also offers an expedited way to reserve a ride if you’re under the influence. If you app or call 877-U-BEMYDD, you can either choose to be picked up at home and brought somewhere else, or call a driver after having too much to drink who will drive you and your car home.
- Public Transportation
- While it’s not the most glamorous option on the list, it is an effective way to keep yourself and others safe. Check out this information on where you can find public transportation, and what options you have, provided by the MBTA.
- Assign a Designated Driver
- The oldest trick in the book. This is the most cost efficient option on the list, and a great way to ensure everyone’s safety if you plan on a night of drinking. Spending time with friends is one of the greatest pastimes, so this way, they will still be there with you, just sitting out of the festivities.
At Berry Insurance, we encourage safety in every form. We love having you along for the ride with us, and would never want anything to compromise that! So, next time you go out for a drink or two, make sure you’re taking the necessary precautions to get from point A to point B without putting yourself or anyone else at risk. And for a no obligation review of your Massachusetts auto insurance, give us a call before you head out at (508)528-5200.
Authored by Riley Alkins