10 Apr 2017 Passive Income Series 2: Blogging & Amazon’s Affiliate Linking
Following our last article, Passive Income Series 1: Alibaba & Shopify, you may be on the fence about whether Alibaba or Shopify are the right passive income sources for you. There are many other opportunities, such as blogging and utilizing Amazon’s Affiliate Linking, to gain income regularly with little investment.
Blogging & Amazon’s Affiliate Linking
If you aren’t interested in starting your own eCommerce business on the side, blogging may be another route you can consider. You can blog about anything that you are passionate about. Whether it is planning vacations, knitting, or volunteering, there are a lot of opportunities for you to write about your experiences, products, and advice. Blogging can be a great way to bring in a little extra income.
Now, keep in mind that you can’t expect to start a page and make money that same day. There are some steps you need to take before you can choose your income streams.
- Start a blog – obviously this is the first step to making money on a blog. Create a URL that is original and buy the domain. It is more attractive and will bring more viewers.
- Create useful content – be creative and pull from your expertise and experience. Write information about your chosen topic to entertain, teach, explain, relieve fears, or solve problems.
- Build relationships with others on social media and around the web – connect with individuals on Facebook groups, comment on other’s blogs, and reach out to people in your niche on Twitter. Find individuals who could use the information you provide. People who know, like, and trust you will spread word about your blog to their audiences.
- Establish a strong platform – continuously create content that is more deep and valuable. Utilize your blog to create trust, build authority, and be helpful. Create the reputation that you want and come up with your brand.
- Choose your income streams – how you make income is up to you. You can add advertising to your site or promote digital or physical products or services.
You can also do affiliate marketing such as Amazon’s Affiliate Linking. Amazon Affiliate Linking is where bloggers promote items on their blogs and receive a commission when people click on the link and then buy something from the site. Benefits of using Amazon’s Affiliate Linking include:
- Amazon is a trusted brand and will trust the link
- Commission on higher value products can be decent
- People often buy more than one item at a time – commission is on whatever they buy, not just what you are promoting
- Easy integration makes it simple
- Holidays are boom times that can be especially profitable to promote
- There are wide arrays of products – you can find something relevant to your audience easily.
Tricks to make money with Amazon’s Affiliate Program are making genuine recommendations, link with images, and focus upon the holidays to help make your linking be the most practical for you.
That being said, blogging and affiliate programs come with liabilities. As a blogger, you run the risk of lawsuits for things such as defamation, invasion of privacy, and copyright infringement. Anyone who regularly publishes online on their blog should seriously consider getting extra insurance. While your homeowners insurance may offer some limited coverage, but is likely not enough. Another option may be an umbrella policy, but they are designed for homeowners. This means your blogging business may be excluded.
The best way to determine if you have the coverage that you need is to contact your Massachusetts insurance agent! We have more passive income tips coming your way, so stay tuned to see what other opportunities are out there for you! In the meantime, if you have any questions on what you can do to protect yourself and your passive income source, contact us at (800) 941-3317.