Skip to Main Content

We're open and here for you. Click to view our new COVID-19 practices.

Corin Cook

By: Corin Cook on June 17th, 2021

Print/Save as PDF

What Do I Need to Get Named Non-Owner Auto Insurance in Massachusetts

Individuals & Families | non-owner auto insurance

If you don’t own a car, but sometimes rent or borrow vehicles, then you may need a named non-owner auto policy. But you probably already know that. That’s why you’re here, right?

But what you may not yet know is exactly how to get a policy.

When you get regular car insurance quotes, the agent you’re working with will ask you a slew of questions … usually about your vehicle. So if you don’t have a car, what sort of information do you need to get a quote?

Well non-owner auto actually has a few requirements and restrictions you should know about before looking into getting a quote.

At Berry Insurance, we’re very familiar with this topic. Our personal lines team has been writing non-owner policies quite often lately, so they know the process inside and out. So in this article we’ll share their expertise with you and outline everything you’ll need to get a named non-owner auto policy.

What is named non-owner auto insurance?

Before we get into what you’ll need, let’s recap what non-owner car insurance actually is.

Non-owner car insurance (also called named non-owner) is a type of car insurance policy for people without a car. In other words, this insurance will cover you if you were to get into an accident while driving someone else’s car, whether it’s a friend’s or a rental.

Non-owner auto insurance is a secondary coverage, used to cover the gaps that the borrowed car’s insurance policy won’t cover. This means if you cause an accident and the car owner’s car insurance reaches its limits, the non-owner policy will kick in to cover the rest.

Compared to other types of auto insurance, non-owner insurance is a fairly bare-bones policy. It has a few essential coverages, but is missing some things you might expect. 

Here’s what you can expect to be covered:

  • Injuries caused to others while driving someone else’s car
  • Property damage caused to others while driving someone else’s car
  • Coverage to injuries to you and your passengers if the other driver is uninsured or underinsured

Here’s what’s not typically covered:

  • Damage to the car you borrowed or rented
  • Medical expenses for yourself (sometimes offered depending on carrier)
  • Roadside assistance/towing
  • Coverage if your limits are less than or equal to the original policy’s limits

To learn more, check out this article: What is Non-Owner Auto Insurance?

What you need to get non-owner insurance

A Massachusetts driver's license 

This one is kind of a no-brainer. If you’re going to drive a vehicle, you need to have a license.

So when applying for non-owner auto insurance, your agent is going to ask for your license number. They will look it up in their MA Registry of Motor Vehicles system to ensure you have a valid MA license.

Some carriers, however, will allow you to get a policy with an out-of-state license (including some we work with), so even if you have an out-of-state license, you may still want to ask around.

Six years of driving experience

Non-owner insurance also requires a six year driving history. Some carriers (including some we work with) may accept inexperienced drivers, but most do not.

We know, this may seem unfair to the newer drivers out there. After all, if you recently started driving, it may make sense that you don’t yet have a car and would need non-owner auto insurance. But unfortunately, most MA insurance carriers will not write a non-owner policy without that experience.

Why? They see someone with less experience as more of a risk, and may not think it is financially worth it to cover them. 

If you don’t have enough driving experience yet, you are still able to drive legally, but you will be doing it at a risk.

Clean driving record

Oh, and you can’t just have six years of driving experience. You need six years of clean driving experience.

If you have had any sort of violations in the past six years, most carriers will consider you too much of a risk and won’t provide you with a policy.

Supporting business

Carriers have another rule when it comes to providing non-owner insurance. They also require you to have a supporting policy bundled with the non-owner policy.

This could be a home, condo, or renters policy, depending on where you live.

Why is this a requirement? Insurance carriers don’t necessarily consider just a non-owner policy alone a strong, long-term account and want it bundled with another type of policy. 


If you’re getting a non-owner policy, you will of course need to pay for it.

Most carriers will allow you to pay in monthly increments but some will require you to pay in full.

The cost of a non-owner policy can vary, but we usually see it fall between $400 and $700, so you may need to have the funds ready when you apply.

Find the right agent for your non-owner insurance needs

So, are you qualified? Are you ready to get a quote?

You may be wondering who you should reach out to to get non-owner insurance.

This is actually an important question because not all insurance carriers offer non-owner insurance. In fact, if you reach out to your current agent who handles your home/condo/or renters insurance policy, there’s a chance they may not even be able to help you.

But not to worry, and insurance agent who offers non-owner insurance (like our team at Berry Insurance) will be able to help get you a MA non-owner policy, and seamlessly transfer your home/condo/or renters policy from your old agency (since you need to bundle policies in order to qualify for a non-owner policy). 

If you’re beginning a search to find the right agent to write your non-owner auto insurance, begin with this article: What to Look For when Selecting an Insurance Agency or Company.