17 Dec 2014 Preventing Water Damage
One of the most disheartening experiences is to find flooding or extreme water damage that’s affected your treasured home in Franklin, Massachusetts. At Berry Insurance, we know you want to protect what’s important. That’s why we’re offering these tips to help you prevent many of the most common causes of water damage.
A little time and effort before-hand can save you lots of heartache and hassle later. Here are ways to proactively prevent water damage in your home:
- Make sure your water pressure is not set too high.
- Standard hoses on new appliances are not as durable as they used to be. So check your appliances. If they are rubber, either replace them with longer lasting stainless steel braided hoses or replace them every three years. Keep up maintenance on all appliance hoses, because slow leaks from worn out hoses can cause major damage (and they are not covered under homeowners insurance).
- Keep water from leaking into the walls or floor of your bathroom by replacing cracked tiles and re-grouting when necessary.
- Examine the shingles on your roof. Worn, curled or missing shingles allow water in, so replace them as soon as noticed.
- Consider buying a water alarm, which can help you find leaks, or automatic shut-off mechanisms, which can help avoid bursts.
- A lot of water damage occurs when you and your family are away from home. Make a practice to avoid running the washing machine or dishwasher while you’re out.
- When you leave for vacations, turn off the water supply to appliances. If possible, have a friend or neighbor check on the house while you’re gone. If it’s during the winter months, be sure to maintain a proper heat setting to avoid frozen and bursting pipes.
*Authored by Amanda Spittell.
For more information about this topic, or to get answers about your current insurance situation, stop our office in Franklin, Massachusetts or give us a call at (800) 941-3317.